Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie

I joined the Agatha Christie challenge and finished my first Agatha book all in the same day - LOL. This is the first book I have read of hers and it definitely won't be my last!! And no, I didn't figure out who did it before the ending.


Photobucket


After I finished the book, I went back and discovered all the little clues that I had missed. I guess I was looking at the big picture and not the small stuff.

In the famous words of Hercule Poirot, "Beware! Peril to the detective who says: 'It is so small - it does not matter. It will not agree. I will forget it.' That way lies confusion. Everything matters."

The Mysterious Affair at Styles is narrated by Arthur Hastings who is recouperating as a guest of John Cavendish at Styles Court. The country home is owned by John's step-mother, Emily Inglethorpe. She has considerable wealth and recently married a man 20 years her junior. When Emily is poisoned by strychnine, Hastings recruits his old pal, Hercule Poirot - a retired detective, to aid in the investigation.

This is the first book that introduces Hastings and Poirot. She wrote this in 1920 and Poirot's last case was published in 1975, Curtain. However, according to a couple of biographies I have read, she wrote this book back in the 1930's.

Rating: 4/5
Pages: 190
Completed: 2/26/08

5 Comments:

She Became a Butterfly said...

i just joined the tbr challenge, and i thought i'd check out your blog. i LOVE agatha!

my friend and i just started a book lovers message board, so i thought i'd invite you!!

eden
www.re-told.net

Kara said...

Thanks for the invite - heading over there now!!

Jodie Robson said...

I shall look for a copy of this - I particularly like Hastings, and this sounds fun.

Coley said...

Kara, I found your blog over at Thoughts for Joy.

I, too, read The Mysterious Affair at Styles this year. My first attempt at an Agatha Christie. I loved it! I also just finished A Secret Adversary, her second novel. She is amazing! I couldn't figure it out before the ending either.

I'm considering joining up with the Agatha Christie Challenge, as I've just discovered her and keen to read more.

Kara said...

Nicole - go ahead and join - it sounds like a lot of fun and I really want to read more of her books.

Geraniumcat - this is the first book and it introduces all the characters. I grew fond of Hastings too. I can't wait to read the next one.